From the Vault - featured items from our collection


Christ Church Anglican door key

Christ Church Anglican door key

This large intricate key, along with its accompanying lock, is believed to be from a Hudson’s Bay Company ship dating to the early 1800s.  The seven-inch long key still works perfectly in the lock.  This key was used until recently at Christ Church Anglican in The Pas, one of the oldest buildings in town.  Construction began for the first Christ Church building in 1846, and a new building was erected in 1896.  Many of the original furnishings in the church were made by carpenters from the Hudson’s Bay Company Post and the Sir John Richardson expedition party, who were wintering at nearby Cumberland House while trying to find the Franklin party (who perished while searching for the Northwest Passage).  The original doors and door handle from the 1896 building are also in the Sam Waller Museum collection.

Added: January, 2011


Back to List