From the Vault - featured items from our collection


Emil St. Godard's Dog Derby plaque

The Pas Dog Derby plaque

A plaque from The Pas Winter Carnival, 1929, awarded to Emil St. Godard for the 200 Mile Non-Stop Dog Derby. The first Dog Derby (a sled dog race) was held at The Pas in 1916, and a winter carnival soon sprung up around the race to entertain locals and visitors alike while they were waiting for the return of the dog teams. The 200 mile course had mushers and their dogs travel from The Pas to Flin Flon and back. The fastest this route was covered in the 1920s was 23 hours, 24 minutes by Shorty Russick in 1924. Emil St. Godard of The Pas rose to prominence in the dog sled world during the 1920s and early 1930s, winning countless trophies throughout Canada and the United States, including the Dog Derby at The Pas from 1925 to 1929. Today, dog sled races are still held annually at The Pas during the Northern Manitoba Trappers' Festival, although the World Championship Dog Race is now three laps of 35 miles per day, rather than the non-stop 200 mile race that won Emil St. Godard this plaque.

Added: January, 2012


Back to List