From the Vault - featured items from our collection


Town of The Pas seal press

Town of The Pas seal press

This Town of The Pas seal press is made of heavy metal with a lever that the user would press down to emboss the town seal onto legal documents. A town employee remembers this seal press being in use in 1950 when she started working at the Town of The Pas office, however, she believed the press to have been there for some time prior to her arrival. It is possible that this could be the first seal press for the Town of The Pas, which was commissioned in 1912 shortly after the town was incorporated. The Town Council minutes from July 15th, 1912 record the motion for a town seal: "On the motion of Councillors Bunting and Senkler the Clerk was authorized to procure a Seal for the Corporation as per specimen with a beaver in the centre instead of a buffalo."  The Town of The Pas seal, still in use today, features "TOWN OF THE PAS MANITOBA" written around the edge of the circular seal, with "INCORPORATED 1912" written inside the circle above a shield featuring a beaver and surrounded by boughs of maple leaves. Likely the seal was based off of the Manitoba seal, with a beaver used since it was no doubt more relatable in fur trade territory than the prairie bison.

Added: May, 2012


Back to List