From the Vault - featured items from our collection


Denture Shade Guide (PH2003.2.4)

Denture Shade Guide

    Our newest From the Vault item is a denture shade guide produced by the Dentist Supply Company on 220 West 42nd Street, New York, United States of America. This was manufactured in the first half of the 20th century and used by a local dentist when matching crowns and reproduction teeth to existing teeth. It is likely that this item was used by Dr. Harwood who had a practice in the 1950’s at 130 Edwards Ave. in The Pas, Manitoba. The item was found in the garage of a pawnshop located on Edwards Avenue prior to being donated to the Sam Waller Museum.

    The base of the item is made of two pieces of metal folded around each other to create a form that the individual shaded teeth can be inserted into. Each tooth is attached to a metal post that can be inserted in a corresponding slot on the base. Each tooth is a slightly different shade and has a corresponding number stamped onto the metal post as well as the base itself. The front of the base is stamped with: "TWENTIETH CENTURY"/"SHADE GUIDE" around the outer edge of the ring and “T.C.” in the middle. Visible are the numbers 1-24 stamped on the very outer edge, though not in numerical order. The back reads: "THE DENTISTS' SUPPLY CO."/"220 W 42 ST NEW YORK" on the outer edge and “MADE IN U.S.A.” on the inner edge.

    This item was accessioned into the Sam Waller Museum collection on 8 April 2003.

Added: February, 2014


Back to List